This is the story of my portrait sculpting progression from when I started in December 12, 2017 until May of 2019
Photographs show mistakes. Whenever I’m not sure what’s wrong with a piece I’ll take a photo and it will reveal my mistakes. I think the head isn’t big enough for the features, it needs more brow and the body is too small. This is Roma plastilina clay, it’s most like water based clay, but it does smell like sulfur.
More work from the class, and older man and the other one where the teacher told me to not smooth so much, and to only used a large wooden spatula tool.
We practiced making different ethnicities. Here I attempted to make the piece look african american. I use a tool to push the lower part of the face out, and that’s why you can see a hole.
This is the final piece. The teacher made the right eye, I made the left. He also helped me sculpt the top of the hair. The student teacher Chris helped me find some of the planes of the face. I think finding the planes of the face is extremely helpful.
Here is the sculpt with the model
This is super sculpey. I wanted to make a piece and exaggerate the facial features as practice. The zygomatic arch and brow. Sculpey isn’t great to work with compared to water based clay and Roma plastelina. However it can be baked in a regular oven.
Here is the finished piece. I neglected the neck, and I think the eyes are also too big.
Here I just wanted to see if I could sculpt a likeness of Obama.